0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Standalone D-A necessary?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  05:43 AM   -   Standalone D-A necessary?

influx

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was thinking Id like to try to start running my mixes through say a 16ch analog board...one that has that "sound"...maybe an old soundcraft or A&H...

JUST to set levels and panning pretty much, and the output buss. Maybe get one good compressor to put on the mains...

so..at first I thought maybe get like a hammerfall or something...say 16-24adat outs, and then maybe a Swissonic DA24 or the like

and then I thought well hell...two delta 1010s woud give me 16 outs..or two 2408s?

so my question is, are the DAs on these things "sufficient?" Is it really necessary to get standalone DA converters? Theyre not cheap!

another option would be the Hammerfall with a couple of the 8 out expansions?

and then that goes back to..is there really a point to breaking things out? does it really sound more "open"?

I guess thats why I want to try..to see if I like the way it sounds..you know...crank the channels a bit...see what the FX sound like comin off the PC through a mixer..etc?

hit me with some thought here, fellas! damballah? Psy? Mindspawn? Anyone else with experience with this?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

psylichon

Link?: Link

wait, digimax may be A/D only.... [shrug]

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

I was gonna suggest the 24I/O. Perfect solution.

-Craig

Message 13/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

smudge

Link?:  No link

yea but your paying for all the inputs aswell. Quality wise, its probably the best solution but he could get 3 delta cards for about £400 cheaper.

Message 14/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

I'd rather not deal with the issues you're gonna hit trying to run three delta cards in one PC.

-Craig

Message 15/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

and I dont have 3 free PCI slots either. or do I?

but..what about the issues with MOTU and PCs?

too bad they dont just make a 24O! 

Message 16/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

beds

Link?:  Link

psy has a motu running fine, dontcha?

i think it's an old issue.

Message 17/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

99devils

I do too. We're both running ECS K7S5As (SiS 735 Chipset). Works fucking great, and Psy mentioned great latency in his setup.

-Craig

Message 18/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

dope

so the 24IO runs on a PCI424 card then?

I'ma have a looksee

Message 19/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

psylichon

Yeah I picked up my used mk1 2408 for $250 and have been giggling about it ever since. My MOTU midi interface ceased to work when I upgraded to WinXP, so I got a midiman, but I've experienced no problems with the 2408 yet. WDM, ASIO, GSIF... they all work very very well. And I can keep the buffers at 64 samples for 1.5 ms latency, even with a reasonable mix running. I was, and continue to be, impressed. Thinking about upping from my 1800 to a 2700+ or something to see if I can get negative latency ;)

psy

Message 20/43                 Date: 21-Jul-03  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: Standalone D-A necessary?

Influx

wow. $1400 for the 24I/O

argh.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum