0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: squarepusher Square-bass

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 03-Jun-03  @  04:19 PM   -   squarepusher Square-bass

dubmunkey

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hi all,

anyone know how to achieve the bass sound squarepusher so loves to use...

It sounds to me like its a sqaure wave as its quite hollow, but with some res for a bit of squelch and filter env for a rounded sound...but no amount of tweaking has got me near the sound- the sound appears on his 'untitled' single and i would love to know how to achieve it- it may well be an FM sound but am not sure.....quality synth tone thou- any ideas?

let us know if you need an audio snippet

Greg

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/22                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

psylichon

Link?: Link

aw dude... and it was exactly as you described it too! Damn...

Oh well, dude uses a lot of square sounds. I'm not gonna beat myself up over it ;)

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/22                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

greg.spicer

Link?:  Link

oh don't get me wrong- ill certainly have a go at the bas sound you up'd cos its cooool- its just the tone im talkin about sounds even easier to achieve- i might try zipping the file...

G

Message 13/22                 Date: 04-Jun-03  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

greg.spicer

File?:  File

Message 14/22                 Date: 05-Jun-03  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

k

hang on I'll add that mime type

Message 15/22                 Date: 05-Jun-03  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

k

done... what are you encoding with out of interest?

Message 16/22                 Date: 05-Jun-03  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

digital rust

File?:  [image]

[image file]

hmm, have you tried adding a touch of chorus to a
square wave?

i use basses like that all the time. you can use 2 square
waves, sync them, no PW (or very little), lp filter, cutoff at
half, a little res then add a little chorus to get it even
hollower. you can play with a filter env to get a little
punch for the attack of the notes as well.

Message 17/22                 Date: 06-Jun-03  @  08:52 AM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

dubmunkey

K it was just an mp3 at 128kbs- maybe there was a browser issue or a network issue from my end...

DG- good idea- i rarely use chorus on bass so will give that a try- to me the sound definitly sounds achievable with a va - so will have a go with my aj1- i think also there is a velocity sensitivity or its just modulating between notes-

thanks..

greg

Message 18/22                 Date: 06-Jun-03  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

k

nope it was the file type, so I wondered what encoder was chucking out that mime type, I use wavelab and it chucks out a different mime type (but they are all 'mp3 files')

Message 19/22                 Date: 06-Jun-03  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

dubmunkey

i was at work so was using a bog standard encoder-

i used mp3 workshop to snip the file and it may have reencoded the file at the same time- the original came from Kazza Lite and is just a normal mp3 to my recollection so must have been something that mp3 workshop did to the file...

Cheers

Greg

Message 20/22                 Date: 06-Jun-03  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: squarepusher Square-bass

milan

mp3 workshop? does that operate directly on mp3 files without decoding them? i'm looking for a utility like that for someone. so does it?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum