0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: dumb about digital mixers

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 03-Mar-03  @  07:34 PM   -   dumb about digital mixers

knowa

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I'm not clear about the extent to which a digital mixer can be integrated into a software studio.

could e.g. the 01v be used as a combination powered plug-in/control surface? i.e. could individual mixer channels in reason be routed through the efx inside the 01v, like routing multiple channels to an aux send on the mackie 1202 (only mixer I've really used). or would I need a more sophisticated rewire host to do this?

about the motorized faders, do you just assign a fader to a particular mixer channel in reason (or logic) and it responds accordingly?

basically, I'm wondering of the 01v would let me mix tracks in reason (and logic if YOU pulaski ever get it togther) with real faders and a nice reverb. I have a slow 400 Mhz Mac that doesn't run reverb plugins too well so I'm curious about outboard. I use a 2408 MkII so I know I have digital i/o capability though I dunno much about them. TIA

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/20                 Date: 05-Mar-03  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

BJT

Link?:  No link

The thing about outboard is that you don't have lag on your faders, no crashing, no clock glitches. So you can play and play again till your happy with your mix. I find mixing has to be done on the fly, I can't do it in hyperdraw.
What do peps think?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/20                 Date: 07-Mar-03  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

99devils

Link?: Link

It'd be better to mix down on the 01V maybe.. You'd have to do a lot of work to set up and record all the automation and whatnot when all that stuff comes free inside your computer. And the limitation I mentioned before, that you can only get 8 digital channels into the thing.

I mix in the PC, but sometimes use it for effects, or as a submixer (drums on 1 and 2, guitars on 3 and 4, synths on 5 and 6, vox on 7 and 8, thaT kind of thing)

Message 13/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

brett

Getting rid of the o1v was the best audio decision I have made. Almost all new software can be controlled by any midi controller. The 20bit ad/da on the o1v robs you of the audio quality most new 24 bit cards are capable of. Most new ad/da devices even sound better at 16 bit than an o1v. the day I bypassed my o1v and started using the DA on my ds90 monitors, I noticed a ton of headroom I was losing, and from what people say about the ds90's, the converter aren’t that great! Take a look at the newer 24bit da7, or the tascam dm24. Even the newer o1v24 would be a better bet. I would only recommend an o1v for live situations. It just doesn't sound good enough to record, or monitor a mixdown through.

And by the way, how has everyone been?

Message 14/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

99devils

You've got to be kidding me...

I can think of at least 4 people on this site that would say you're talking out your ass.

-Craig

Message 15/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

milan

01v96. 5 people at least. out his arse, yes.

where ya been brett, been missing your rants  

Message 16/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

knowa

brett, you're funny. remember when all you needed was reason? thanks for the advice, regardless of the orifice from whence it came. I know your intentions were good.

Message 17/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

influx

man...bit this, bit that. Everyone's always regurgitating shit

IT ALL GOES TO 16bit anyway

as for the O1v sound..well...

Message 18/20                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

Scott

As for the 01V96, I'm gonna know all about the sound as soon as mine arrives... yes I've gone mad.

Too much time dinkin around on a 1202 and 8 inputs on my 1010... Having a load of analog ins plus the 8 ADAT i/o and option of another has me frothing at the mouth. Gonna be the first time ever I can get everything in my studio on one board.

Can't freaking wait!

Message 19/20                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

brett

been working relentlessly!

as for me talking out my ass, well you shuld listen up, cause my ass is right! just take any decent recording and run the digital outs from your sound card to the o1v, and then monitor out from the analog outs on the o1v. listen a bit, then hook the amp directly up to the sound card analog outs, or in my case the digital outs to my ds90's. any good 24 bit capable card should have a more open sound, and cleaner more audible lows. and I don't mean 24 bit capable with 20 bit ad like the yamaha dsp factory.

Ever wonder why people here are always asking how do i get that pro sound? quit using lowend tracking equiptment! That is one example of why Reason can give great results. there is no tracking in the process to ruin it with an o1v.

as for Reason, my freind just sent me a cd he did with it. The quality of the sound is as good as any premastered music I have heard, and with some minor changes he is gonna get this stuff released. he licensed one of the track to a dvd production. 100% reason....

Message 20/20                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: dumb about digital mixers

99devils

Whatever.

The 01V has a "sound" yes. You may not like it. But it is NOT technically inferior/superior, just a matter of preference.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum