0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Delay

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 23-Feb-03  @  04:36 PM   -   Delay

sector7g

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to use a delay to echo only certian cyllables in a word, or word(s) in a phrase.

For example, instead of delaying the whole phrase:
I love dancetech...(I love dancetech)...(I love dancetech)...etc

you would only delay the tech in dancetech:
I love dancetech...(tech)...(tech)...etc

Hopefully that will make sense to someone. I am using vst 5.0, and have both plugins and a hardware delay unit availible (Yamaha D1500, as recommended by dancetech).

Thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/32                 Date: 28-Feb-03  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: Delay

d

Link?:  No link

drawn in automation curves in your sequencer software

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/32                 Date: 28-Feb-03  @  06:03 AM   -   RE: Delay

influx

Link?:  Link

damballah = the king of concise responses 

Message 13/32                 Date: 28-Feb-03  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Delay

sector7g

Link?: Link

concise is good. Thanks

Message 14/32                 Date: 01-Mar-03  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: Delay

d

yr wlcm  

Message 15/32                 Date: 01-Mar-03  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Delay

§ï†ÅR

Link?: Link

Was this mentioned? You can slice your audio at the syllable "tech". Shift drag (to constrain it in time, or however you do it in Cubase) to a seperate audio track and put your delay on that track.

Message 16/32                 Date: 20-Mar-03  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Delay

dosullivan

hey d

you mention there in your wonderfully concise explanation of how to achieve that delay send technique about "muting it to the mains but just use it to feed the dely".

that's the bit i don't get! can you talk me thru that step as if you were talking to a two year old with a learning disability. PLEEEZE. if i can snag that bit then i think o've got the rest sorted.

what i'm after is i'm trying to get that really screwed up delay sound where it keeps feeding back more and more and starts gaining 'air' as it fades more and more into the ether. its an amazing effect :D

thanks
D

Message 17/32                 Date: 20-Mar-03  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Delay

d

actually, if you insert a delay on the channel with your chopped audio and set the mix on the delay to 100% wet, that should work. there's a bit more complicated way that'd be good if you wanted to do several tracks through a single delay, but for just some words use the channel insert.

if you wanted to do several, go to your vst mixer, scroll to the right. there you'll see groups, GRP1-GRP8. You could insert your effect there. Go back to the channels with the audio. At the bottom of the channel, there's a button that says MASTER that you can change to one of the groups. those channels will then feed the effect.

Message 18/32                 Date: 20-Mar-03  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Delay

DoeZer

File?:  [image]

[image file]

great! thanks i'll check it out.
i actually use inserts alot of the time anyway so cool  .

but there's another method which i'm trying to find out more about. my 'mixer terminology' isn't as good as it should be. i'll try to explain...

if you think of a hardware mixer. the diagram attached explains it better than i can. it involves having a delay box as your aux send effect and then, by setting the feedback of that box to zero, you can setup an endless loop which can be controlled with the faders...

or something like that!  ) I'm hoping some of this makes more sense to you than me. its a method i've read about for getting that really dubby fedback kinda delay that can sound SO cool sometimes. but i can't seem to get it setup on my gear. any suggestions?

D

D
if you send take

Message 19/32                 Date: 20-Mar-03  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Delay

d

yeah, returning a hardware delay into a channel works great, turn up the aux on the return channel for feedback, and play with the tone controls for filter delay effects.

Message 20/32                 Date: 21-Mar-03  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Delay

Normal

..and for even more dub, connect a cable from another send back to a channel. When you bring up the send level on that channel you get loud feedback (be very careful not to blow your monitors! - turn down your monitor outs), and by manipulating the tone controls, you get a proper dub siren noise. Use a seperate send to send this to a delay, set up as D says. I've got some real fat bass noises doing this, which can be recorded and stuck in the sampler.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum