0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Do you use sample cds?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 01-Aug-02  @  03:51 PM   -   Do you use sample cds?

proximus

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Do you use sample cds and if you do, how important is it to your music?

I don't use sample cds but sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out..

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/36                 Date: 04-Aug-02  @  12:10 AM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

proximus

Link?: Link

I'd like to have some orchestral sample cds. Vocal sample cds sound nice.. but then you know there will always be someone who use the exact same vocals as you. Of course it is very easy.

I'm a bit afrid to get burnt. I don't want to end up with a unuseable sample cd.

Thanks for the input

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/36                 Date: 14-Aug-02  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

formant

yup i own two and nearly the only thing i use them for is individual drum hits and kits.

i also steal the feel of breakbeats and stuff on them as well.

jamey

Message 13/36                 Date: 14-Aug-02  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

proximus

would like to have one of those very expensive string sample cds :-)

Message 14/36                 Date: 14-Aug-02  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

errata

Link?:  No link

Sure, If I can't do it better with my gear! I've used cut up loops in drum n bass from planet of the breaks (I wouldn't just loop a breakbeat from a sample disk, half the fun is cuttin' it up and re-arranging it).

I use vocal's from the voices of india disk too, and instruments (like 3rd world horns and sitars and what-not) that I can't hope to reproduce in the studio.

I'm really big on programming synths, though. I'd never go near a synth sample. There's no excuse!

e

Message 15/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

brett

you can't go wrong with a good group of drum presets and some good acoustical stuff if you use it. a sampler can be the best synth you own if you use the right presets made from quality multi-samples. I see people who have made presets for akai and emu and even korg tirton from all kinds of VA's on e-bay for around $25 a cd. So if you want to expand you sound palet and they are done well, and priced cheap, go for it. But most loop cd's are over rated and for the most part unsusable from my experience. I find cool ones every now and then that I throw into recycle and load into reason for a good resequencing. A loop can add that motion your track is missing , but almost always start with my own kick ,snare and hats first.

Message 16/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

Drop

The latest Layo and Bushwacka! album lists 7 sample CD's that were used. It's true there is not a huge amount of good ones but the good ones ARE good.

Message 17/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

proximus

good idea about the mulitsampled synth sounds.. but I would feel so guilty not having made my own sounds.. and using sounds not even from my keyboard  

Maybe I will try such a sample cd once.. maybe if I like the sounds I can get the synth another time  

Message 18/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

Boo

No, I've not used sample CDs.

I personally feel like it's cheating (no matter how much how hacked up and ed with the samples are afterwards) and would never feel like I'd achieved something special and personal if I didn't do absolutely everything from scratch myself.

Each to their own, though, eh?

Message 19/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

proximus

what about sampling 70's disco songs? Do you think that is ok?

It's pretty hard to make something authentic disco sounding with va's and not using samples at all.

Message 20/36                 Date: 16-Aug-02  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Do you use sample cds?

Boo

I dunno. I can remember back when I was ing around with breakbeat stuff and refused to use the amen stuff.

I ended up trying to make a funky break complete with vocals, bass and all that stuff. I then cut a loop out of it and dialled out some eq (But still leaving SOME artifacts to make it sound imperfect).

Cutting up the original beat and putting it back together in a different order made it sound 'stolen' and crunchy, but in fact it was all original. I got the sample monkey sound I was after, but managed to make it all from scratch.

This kind of thing is a lot of hard work, but then again, I am anal and completely insane about this kind of stuff.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 36 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum