0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Damned Mackie's

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 17-Jul-02  @  12:53 AM   -   Damned Mackie's

Errata

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I thought I'd share...

What a pain in the ass. This party we played on Saturday had Mackie SRM450's set up for stage monitors. We played at 2:00 for a party that started at 10:00. The crap Mackie's shut themselves off at around 1:50 during the DJ set before ours. The DJ before us and the sound guy don't bother telling us. Later the guy that owned the system says they're notorious for this. After a few hours they get too hot and shut down!!! Other people at the party agreed, like it's a well known fact!

WTF!!!??? I see these monitors everywhere... Why the hell would everyone buy these things if this happens?

Anyway the set's not loud enough, everyone keeps telling me to turn it up, but I think the monitors are working so I figure the house PA is plenty loud because I CAN"T hear the monitors over the house... and figure the people telling me to turn it up are just high!!! None of the artists bothered to tell us we were too quiet it was the kids at the front of the dance floor...

So I think I'm pissed at the sound guy and MACKIE... No big deal... the show was successful and i finally did turn it up.

My question is, (took a long time I know) has anyone else encountered this with these top selling monitors? Or was I just surrounded by... well i better just leave it at that!

e

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/25                 Date: 17-Jul-02  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

I used the Mackies, HARD, for up to 8 hours straight, with no problems yet, (goin' on my third (fourth?) year with 'em, albeit this year has been very "restful" for them). I use the SRS1500 for the lows and just use the 450s for the upper range bits. I wouldn't use them as a PA (although I have in a pinch more than once), but I've been very happy with them as stage monitors... Must admit, I actually like the "in-the-ear" monitors better these days. Lot easier to hear what's goin' on as long as you know your low end is sorted....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/25                 Date: 17-Jul-02  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

Mindspawn

One other note, if that guy that owned them say they're notorius for that, he probably doesn't know how to set them up proper. They'll shut off if you force them into overload for too long, but if you're setup proper, that shouldn't be an issue. If he was JUST using the 450s with no sub, well maybe they just couldn't compete with the house bass/subs. I've always used the subs with 'em so I couldn't say...

Message 13/25                 Date: 17-Jul-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

k

Link?:  No link

then mebbe like with all the mackie mixers recently being recalled there has also been manufacturing probs with their monitors if failures are rampant in this model.

Message 14/25                 Date: 17-Jul-02  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

Errata

You guys are right! The sound guy's to blame here... If he knew they'd do that he shouldn't have had them there! That's what I was saying to him after the party, and he's like, "You don't have to get all excited!"

it's not like I was pissed, I was just surprised that he'd use them when he knew better!

The mix for the show was good (we recorded the set in line to the mixer so we know everything was good) just not loud enough for the first 2 tracks... pissed me off at the time. But we got respect!

e

Message 15/25                 Date: 19-Jul-02  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

djjessex

Link?:  No link

id like to respond to the dude who used the duck tape limiter, in genious. I dont know how many times ive been to a party where every consecutive dj turns the sound higher than the last like it will some how make thier set better.

I dont wanna piss any dj's off but it seems that some are pre maddonnas somtimes. Get your in ego out of the clouds man! I was at an outdoor last weekend and some dj was waiting for our set to be over and he keeps comin up to us and demanding that we finnish cuz he wants to play. And it was OUR party, then he starts scratchin over our shit like it will make it better. I had to tell him 5 times to get the out. I found out he wasnt even on the set list.

As a party person I owe alot to good dj's and they do alot of cool things that require some talent, but lest we forget, most dont in produce shit. You spin records, your not a god!

Jesse

Message 16/25                 Date: 19-Jul-02  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

influx

"some are pre maddonnas somtimes. "

SHIIIIIT. most of the time? fuck yes

as for the duct tape limiter...god DAMN that made me laugh!

Message 17/25                 Date: 19-Jul-02  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

milan

pre-madonnas? like cindy lauper?  )

Message 18/25                 Date: 22-Jul-02  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

influx

she was pre?

heh. primadonna

Message 19/25                 Date: 22-Jul-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

damballah

is funny, cindy lauper was the one the critics thought had staying power. now debbie harry, she's definately pre-madonna.

Message 20/25                 Date: 23-Jul-02  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

milan

ah ye, thats the exmple i was looking for...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum