0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: things to do while live

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 09-Apr-02  @  02:31 PM   -   things to do while live

formant

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

with your gear of course... no rockstar antics please!

here are some off the top of my head:

change out drumloops on the fly
filter up/down/whatever only your drums or only your instrumentation
do a lofi/filter/distortion effect on the last measure of 16 bars or 8 bars
actually play keys!!! (not me tho)
run up your delay feedback and then pull it back right at a change up

jamey

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/34                 Date: 10-Apr-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I like to smoke cigarrettes while I play, and you can't do that in bars in Cali. How messed is that? I make wierd faces when I play, and I bounce around a little bit. I like to have a tumbler of Oban or similar malt close at hand as well, when it can be arranged. Also, I like to do perverted things to my gear, that go beyond words.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/34                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: things to do while live

Mindspawn

How about fire-breathing... No, seriously, what sort of things do y'all think makes a live set cooler over a DJ set? How about CG visuals, circus performers, exotic dancers, or a cool one I saw recently, a dude in a giant mantis costume some 10 feet tall... All stuff not directly connected to the music, but it can still be a part of a live show, although that is a bit more along the "rock star" lines....

I mean it might be pretty hip watching Pongoid make faces, smoke cigs, and drop beats, but I'm a muso and seeing someone get down with their kit rocks for me. For "crowd appeal" it would be cool to have something a bit "rockstar" to do... Course if Pongoid were to be playing in Cali, I guess smoking cigs on stage might actually be something of a spectacle... Pongoid you rock star you....=)

Peace

Message 13/34                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: things to do while live

onemind

Link?:  No link

rabbit in the moon... supposed to put on a killer live shows. I had a chance to see them back when the LSD flowed like wine but I went to a different party  Oh well, I'm sure I had a blast anyway.

Message 14/34                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  10:02 AM   -   RE: things to do while live

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

yeah, rabbit in the moon has a pretty crazy
visual thing going on. i've actually seen it so
many times that i'm a little tired of it.

i will see their new show this weekend though
so i'll report back on monday. maybe with
some pictures too.

Message 15/34                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

sitar

Orbital puts on an excellent show. They use video on screens behind them set up for their tracks. Lights were amazing last time I saw them. And those headlights they wear are just too much....that one prop has become a trademark for them, and the headlights serve a utilitarian purpose in that they are what they use to see what they are doing. Brilliant idea. They have big bucks to use for their tours, unlike most. They grew into that position though so it can be done.

Message 16/34                 Date: 12-Apr-02  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

99devils

Like I mentioned in another thread we're working on having visuals for my project too. We're looking at multiple TVs and a projector synced together and to the music.. I'm thinking about running visualizations from Media Player on the projector and projecting them onto the band, more like lighting than an actual projection on a screen. Plus we want real lights too, but my wallet isn't that fat  

-Craig

Message 17/34                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

Pongoid

I had a pretty bang up time while playing with friends, and everything just stopped while I bounced around doing a bass solo. Crowd went nuts for it. I love that shit. Best spectacle I've seen/participated in was an orgy that happened right in front of the stage while I was playing. When I stopped playing the orgy stopped too, much to my dismay, cute folks involved. That's what I call a fuckin party! It ain't for everyone, but I dig it when people can loosen up to that point.

Ape

Message 18/34                 Date: 17-Apr-02  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

xoxos

old but cool trick is hanging a sheet in front of the performers and projecting silhouettes on it with a few different lights that switch back and forth so the shadows 'lurch' around.

not that anyone who's done that will ever look as cool as that guy that played bass for the thompson twins. but makes a good ambient light source for working on stage.

Message 19/34                 Date: 19-Apr-02  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

Maarten

But what's the fun of not seeing the crowd?

Message 20/34                 Date: 19-Apr-02  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: things to do while live

sitar

You pick out "choice members" of the audience to be up on stage with you. The shadows become lots more interesting, especially with the long leggy ones.

That's it. I gotta take my sheet on the road.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum