0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: What mixer are you using?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 26-Mar-01  @  08:51 AM   -   What mixer are you using?

loFreq

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Just out of curiousity and the quest for the 'best' DJ mixer. What kinda of mixer do you have and how do you like it.

My first was a Vestax PMC-03a. The Vestax served its role as a beginner mixer, which was a:cheap(129USD) b:decent in quality. The fader on the vestax was tight and took some effort to move, which at the time I thought was good. But on the fader tip, it taught me a lesson. cheap faders suck. It started to leak after 3 months or so. I'd give it a 3 out of 10 overall.

My second and current mixer is a Newmark Pro SM-1. This is a HUGE step up from the little vestax. Let me say that until this series of mixers came out I was not a Numark fan. My old roommate had one and the fader went quicker than the cheaper vestax. But anyway, the faders on this one are KILLER!!! I belive it is a true optical design. In any case, the fader feels smooth and has some weight too it as it should. To compare to the high end(PMC-07PRO)vestax, the vestax fader can be flicked all the way across very easily, while the numark has more resistance. The channel faders have a simlar feel. All the faders and knobs are non-slip rubber that feels nice. Speaking of knobs, the knobs are spaced out perfectly(almost), unlike the expensive vestax mixers, whose knobs are far too close together. Another nice feature is dual headphone-jacks!!!! It has both standard quarter-inch and the tiny walkman type. Bravo! On top of that, the mic connector is a fancy 1/4in\XLR !!  Someone was actually thinking when they designed this thing. I'd give this a 7.5 out of 10. BTW it cost me $380, and they now have a three channel model availible. I would have liked to have had the third turntable option for the extra cash.

I hear stanton is makeing mixers with decent faders, anyone have one?

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/22                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Pongoid

Link?: Link

The pioneer is ok, not great, way overpriced. Fun effects, but again, not great. Nothing about the mixer is great. Not the faders, EQ, F/X, or sound quality. If you're looking at the pioneer, look at the Allen&Heath. One shot on it will convince you. It's so much more of a quality piece. Give me a couple days and I'll get you a price.

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/22                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  04:41 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

danktle

I use a Rane MP24 which is a great mixer, as long as you don't intend to mix with it. Way too much money for what you get, but it is a brick shithouse as far as durability; maybe the ultimate back up mixer. I'd rather a Stanton SK2F. anyone here seen those? the fader on that thing is fucking FAST!!! I mean, you can actually blow the thing from one channel to the other, no shit. built pretty solid, doesn't cost too much. That or a PMC05ProII.

Message 13/22                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

loFreq

I duuno bout the Allen & Heath mixer. I too was quite interested in it before i bought the one that i have now. They look super cool, and the VCFs on each side of the cross fader is pure genius. BUT after talking to a friend who does live sound at various places, and a couple other sound type ppl, who have had experience with Allen & Heath mixing boards (not DJ mixers). They all say the same thing: not reliable. One of the places i frequent, and play at on occasion, has a Allen & Heath FOH board. and sure as shit, it has 3 bad channels. Not only that, but suprise suprise, you can get 'refurbished' A&H mixers all over the place. I wonder why. I cant say for sure that this carries over to the DJ mixers, but im not sure id take a $1200 gamble.

Message 14/22                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

jondennis101

at home I'm using a 5 year old Gemini 626. I don't give a shit about mixers really. Standard requirements for me are that it has gotta have loud amplification on headphones (Which is where Vestex are fucking wank), 2 faders, crossfaders and 3 eq's. There we go. The rest will be done with your mind and fingers. No mixer is gonna make you a better dj. But for the record, my residency had a Citronic Predator which cost £500 and is the fucking bollox...even if it does consistently break. The kills are mad

Message 15/22                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

loFreq

True, no mixer will make you a better DJ. BUT it can prevent your preformace from containing loud static bursts when you move the crossfader. I also think that a well designed mixer with good features can enhance the preformance of a skilled DJ (such as the VCF on either side of the Allen&Heath crossfader). I imagine that is the same reason you like the kills on the otherwise crappy Citronic. I am looking for quality first and features second. I now realize that $200 does not buy quality.

Message 16/22                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Pongoid

yes, Allen&Heaths are delicate beasts, and don't react well at all to having a beer/spliff ash spilled in them, etc.. However, in the studio, the Xone 464 is definately the dog's nadgers. No really good sounding mixer, except a Urei/Bozak will hold up to constant use at aclub/parties. Why would a company these days want to make a product that it couldn't sell more of?

Ape

Message 17/22                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

loFreq

I dunno, my current Numark Pro SM-1 seems pretty damn durable. I've only had it for about 6-8 months, but that is longer than the others lasted. I'll post back with a longer term review in 6months or so.

Message 18/22                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

danktle

Whaa? beer/spliff ash?

anyone heard about vestax displaying a new mixer at trade shows where the crossfader has water pouring through it? at least that's what the rep said.

Message 19/22                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Jasper

what about the rest of the mixer? sparks flying out of it?

Message 20/22                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

loFreq

ok wait, water pouring through the cross fader? was is a feature or a demonstration. the new AQUA-fader! hehe... Really im always interested when vestax comes out with a new design. I really like their current highend-crossfaders alot, so any imorovement must be awesome.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum