0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: How would compression improve my track?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 28-Jan-01  @  10:35 PM   -   How would compression improve my track?

Jez

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

if you've got the time and have'nt heard my track 'disconnected' yet then please give it a listen....the reason being....

I've been told the grooves are cool but that the drums need to be compressed..is it that important...can it be improved during the mastering or can only eq make the main difference to a final .wav...it just annoys me that I bought my Alesis 3630 after I wrote it...

this is'nt a shameless plug...I just need some advice...

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/35                 Date: 03-Feb-01  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jez

Link?:  Link

oh and Jasper...for the track I'm workin on now...the a3k effects are all bein used so I need to resort to the alesis for individual drum compression...I wish it had like 7 effects blocks...in an ideal world..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/35                 Date: 03-Feb-01  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

philippe_gauvin

Link?:  No link

I would need some advice to start using compression. Usually i put a negative threshold, a positive output a fair attack and a fast release. How you guys start with compression? Any particular settings ?

Thanks

Message 13/35                 Date: 03-Feb-01  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

mess with it ! the settings are bound to your source material: different kick, different settings. Don't be affraid to whack the living shit out of it. mind your speakers tho' ;)

Message 14/35                 Date: 03-Feb-01  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

gb

Jez, you might want to consider getting a 01v. Every channel gets it's own dynamics (compression for instance) processor and 4-band parametriq eq.

Message 15/35                 Date: 04-Feb-01  @  05:32 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

k

compression can also do something no other effect can do ... 'pumping' - (bar saturating tape which is also an evil effect - sample you bassline onto heavily overdriven tape, saturate it to hell, playback, sample.... ouch!!!!!!!!!.. you'll know the sound!)

Message 16/35                 Date: 04-Feb-01  @  09:01 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Espoo2

Link?: Link

Check out the above link for a great tutorial on compressiona and what it does... in laymans terms.
I was actually re-reading it when I happened upon this thread....

Hope it helps... I'm still coming to terms with compression myself... and this has been the best source so far... check out the other links as well on the top of the page (of the link I posted) b/c theres lotsa good info there.

Message 17/35                 Date: 04-Feb-01  @  10:35 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jez

that was interesting espoo...nice one!

Believe me I'd love to get an O1V and I used to use an 03R at work for a while when I worked for The Discovery Channel...but I got no dollar now!

still, me and jasper are fortunate because we can use the compression in our a3000's on the drums anyway which is a major bonus and lessens the need for a flashey mixer with group sends etc...

I'm writing a kind of dark house track at the moment, but I want a crushed overall mix to make it sound more techno style, so I strapped the 3630 into the main inserts, kept the threshold and output on 0db so as not to overdrive the overall signal and a quicj release, moderate ratio and 50ms attack and surprisingly it does'nt box up the dynamics of the keys too much so it's got that added 'pumping' effect from the a3k's compresors (more extreme setttings mind you)
and a moderate overall compression from the alesis....
make's the whole thing sound more tight, and professional than all my last tracks...
the high hats kind of pop out at you more..then are sucked backed in line...keeps grooves alive...

also I noticed that when I crank up the volume on my amp, it does'nt sound more mushey the higher I go which is good for a fat soundsystem...

so now I'm glad I bought it...though I would'nt mind trying out a vitaliser...

still could'nt get that Peace Division tune today...still sold out everywhere...bastards!

Message 18/35                 Date: 05-Feb-01  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

k

there is also a COMPRESSOR page with lots of info in the FX-RACK section here at DT (check the top 'dancetech Selektor')

Message 19/35                 Date: 05-Feb-01  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

Jez

yeah I've checked it. It's pretty helpful actually. It at least sorted out for me what the difference between hard and soft knee was etc....

I like the settings chart as well which is quite useful.

Message 20/35                 Date: 06-Feb-01  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: How would compression improve my track?

k

what you want for stinky basslines is a valve compressor. :-) - droool! - another great one is to just play the bassline out via an aux send to your guitar amp, turn up the distortion or gain until the bassline hums, line out the sound or mic the cab.. mix it in sample it etc, killer effect on drum-loops too - it turns any clean but wicked grooving machine beat into a dirty grungy fucked up old drumloop with that overdrive they used to get on the old valve recordings back in the era those classic beats come from - remember it was alll valve & tape then....

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum