0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Semitone settings = layered notes?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 20-Jan-04  @  04:05 AM   -   Semitone settings = layered notes?

CM

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hello, I am not a musician so this may seem elementary; I am wondering if you were to say program an analogue synth so that oscillator 2 is set at negative say .... 7. If you were to play one single note, are you really in a sense playing two notes? Is it entirely equivalent to playing C and F notes simultaneous? Ok, so it is a primitive question but please humor me with an answer.
Cheers

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/17                 Date: 23-Jan-04  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

CM

Well done dancetech peoples.
I will half to play around with these concepts however clearly I like the idea from psylichon. That seems a brilliant way to control the harmony with a very easy way to be able to control the amount of the amount of bad notes. I will drop a question or two more here in the future, outstanding help overall.

Cheers
CM

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/17                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

younger brother

If you have a sync function (btw.. is 'ring modulator' another name for it? I dunno why that came into my mind) in your synth then it might be different thing... at least when I tune OSC_2 plus or minus 7 semis and use sync I can play melodies without sounding 'out of tune'/'out of scale'/'atonal?(just learned a term)........ maybe a bit offtopic... have a nice day.  

Message 13/17                 Date: 29-Jan-04  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

craig

Link?: Link

Sync and ringmod are not the same thing... What sync does is slaves the start of a cycle from one oscillator to another oscillator.. So what you can have is a wave that "restarts" in the middle of a cycle. Ring modulation is entirely different.

-Craig

Message 14/17                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

milan

yeah... sync has no effect on the pitch, its more for timbral variation.

Message 15/17                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

craig

And has an important effect on FM too.

-Craig

Message 16/17                 Date: 30-Jan-04  @  09:37 PM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

milan

really? hmm.... i *think* i used that once... gotta try it again then  

Message 17/17                 Date: 14-Feb-04  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Semitone settings = layered notes?

BJT

I can't cruze by this site without writing something can I...

MC keep in mind that be detuning OSC1 by +5, and OSC2 by +7, the perceived sound
will be detuned by approx +6.

What gets me is that, by detuning certain notes in a scale, it make the scale progression sound completely different, and if you use synthetic sounds, it doesn't sound "off" unlike a detuned piano. I guess more like a guitar, no one notices detuned notes in a solo.

Two detuned sine oscillators is the same as one sine oscillator modulated by a LFO oscillating at their frequency difference.

But two detuned saw-tooth's....just sounds wicked.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum