0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: overdrive

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jul-03  @  09:52 AM   -   overdrive

brendan miles

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I was told that the best way to mix is to have the desk fader at unity gain and then use the gain pot to set the level. I like to overdrive my desk inputs till the o/d red light comes on. I find it a good way to "dirty" up my sounds. But using the gain pots in this way means I can only have my channel faders at -20. Is it acceptable to have my faders this low? Am I compromising sound quality? There is no rules right? Thanks guys.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/15                 Date: 29-Jul-03  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: overdrive

brendan miles

thank you for the replies. D - if I set my faders at unity it doesn't make a difference because the o/d light only comes on when the gain pot reaches a certain point regardless of where the fader is. I am a tad confused now.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/15                 Date: 29-Jul-03  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: overdrive

k

hey 'd' - have you tried that free MDA speaker sim?... f*cking superb for that sound!! - on kiks it rocks or loops etc

Message 13/15                 Date: 29-Jul-03  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: overdrive

Maarten

Link?: Link

rules distort your creativity

Message 14/15                 Date: 30-Jul-03  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: overdrive

damballah

Link?:  Link

hey "k"! it'd been a while and I'd forgotten that one. I set up a quick little loop with some xoxos drumsynths, bussed it through mda's combo, tweaked it and some funny stuff started happening. then put it through a bitcrusher plug bashing it down to around 4 to 6 bits and look out! yes, download combo -- another weapon in the arsenal. it's in the files here at dancetech.

rules may distort your creativity but maarten's creatively-used distortion f-ing rules.  

Message 15/15                 Date: 30-Jul-03  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: overdrive

k

that MDA speaker sim is one of my favourite plugs... For the newbies... it's similar to sending your loops (as an example) out froma hardware mixer via an aux send... into a guitar combo, then mic-ing the speaker and turning up the gain - THAt makes huge loops! - and what it also does is 'ruff-up' machaine created loops using clean samples into a sort of dirty breakbeat which just sounds more 'whole' and organic

the speaker sim plug does something similar... really spices up kick-drums & loops etc

try it!... The MDA plugs are all mirror hosted in our FILES section - do a search for 'MDA' or 'MAXIM'

the plugin pack also includes other GREAT stuff! - Maxim offered one of the first PC based free plugin packs that appeared back in the 90's & they still are going strong - A great VERY low-cpu-stress compressor, filters, and more - they also do superb simple 'lite' synth plugs... check the FILES section as I say & grab 'em!

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum