0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: bass tone

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 24-Mar-01  @  12:33 AM   -   bass tone

bassbrap

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Hi, I have a mid-1980's Ibanez bass, and i have some questions about getting good tone. I want that thick, deep bass sound that i hear in a lot of deep house records.

My bass has two stock pickups, a humbucker in the bridge and a split coil in the neck position. When I record my bass lines, I plug into my Sovtek 60 watt tube head, and then go from the amps line output to an ART tube compressor, and then onto my mixer, sampler, or soundcard.

My problem is that when I record, it sounds kinda weak int he tone dept. I acan't seem to get that thick sound I am looking for. I am thinking the problem lies in one of two things: a: my bass' stock pickups, or b: the fact that I don't have access to a huge, proper bass amp and cabinet t mic out.

I would like to get new pickups for the thing, but i am worried as the pickups that are in it are not a standard size and are rather large. i am not even sure if i can get a pickup that will fit it......

i guess i'm just looiing to see what experience y'alls have had with getting nice bass tones wihtout having expensive active pickups or a proper bass amp.

thanks

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/15                 Date: 28-Mar-01  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: bass tone

BassProShop

Link?: Link

that Mo' Bass indeed does look bad-ass. drool.

has anyone tried revalver? I've DL'd the demo but haven't fucked with it much yet. Sort of a cheapo direct-x Amp Farm, a software POD. there's a link ^^^.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/15                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: bass tone

k

what about old 'Acoustic' the old black & blue ?.. also get an old tape reel to reel for a few quid from the pawn shop and run your loops thru that - saturate the tape, resample... sorted !!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/15                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: bass tone

Jack

Aside from maybe blowing the speakers at high volume, I don't see how running bass through a guitar rig would hurt it. Anyway, it's nice to see the mighty SVT being talked about here at DT! When it comes to good guitar and bass tones, I personally hate most modern shit. I reccomend getting old used stuff for two reasons, it's cheap and it sounds good. Also, if you're getting tube gear, find a tech who specializes in tube amps. A little care goes a long way with those amps. Worth every penny! Ok then...

Message 14/15                 Date: 09-Apr-01  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: bass tone

Pongoid

basses fry guitar preamps. Output is much higher, not good for guitar amps.

Message 15/15                 Date: 16-Apr-01  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: bass tone

99devils

I know this from experience! Over the long term a bass will fry a guitar amp  

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum