0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: I thought we were talking about drums

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 09-Mar-01  @  07:52 PM   -   I thought we were talking about drums

The Dole Mole

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I thought this chatroom was about exchanging tips, tricks and advice regarding beats. Everyone's on about digital plug-ins. I would like to start again. Here are my questions.

1. How do you build a grooving drum track?

2. Is groove based around the relationship betweem the hats and the snare?

3. If you have a 16th note closed hi-hat pattern, how much should you swing the 2nd and 4th hat?

4. If I want to make a really grooving 4x4 house pattern, how do I put that driving feel into it?

5. What's the best way to emulate the live feel using a programmed shaker?

6. Is it best to avoid using 16th note swing quantise setings in Logic?

7. Are there any tricks? Is it good to wobble drum sounds by using modulation? How do you do it?

8. Are there any tips on how to make your drum samples really attack?

I know there are no rules in music, but there must be some tried and tested tips and tricks!

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/12                 Date: 13-Mar-01  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: I thought we were talking about drums

dance, rummy!

I know k said it already, but get yourself
some midi files of beats to look at.... either on this site, or the other 100,000 midi file sites on the net... load them into Logic and look at the structure.....

sure, it's hard finding dance midi stuff, but keyfax and others make dance midi file disks for purchase.... $30 and you're rollin' with lots of material

my d&b tracks got a groovier feel once I started using
triplet timing on my hats... see the 12step.mid
file in the DT files section...

another thing I noticed is that it doesn't take
much to make a beat skip and groove.... even ONE
extra 32nd in a row of 16th hats might just put in the shuffle you need...

I'm not the pro, but if you're making 4floor stuff, i don't think it goes too much beyond that....
starting out, I was overwriting all of my stuff....
as the jazz players say, less is more.

don't give up... especially not after only 18 months...... I tried for 3 years before I had anything worth listening to, only to realize it really wasn't worth listening to.... like any worthwhile creative activity, this stuff takes years to do, and even more years to do WELL.... so, be a masochist....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/12                 Date: 14-Mar-01  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: I thought we were talking about drums

recycler

recycle is an excellent tool for learning about drum programming. I think playing with recycle will be extremely helpful in understanding the relationship between different grooves and their appearance on the drum grid. And the ability to "convert to groove" in Cubase (Logic must have it too) is almost criminal. Expropriate some one elses lifetime of rhythmic study in about 2 seconds.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum