0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: hurricane irene

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 27-Aug-11  @  02:24 PM     Edit: 27-Aug-11  |  02:44 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i'm one of the 64 million people in hurricane irene's path. D'OH! i picked the wrong 64 million people to be with this time.

the hurricane won't be here for quite a few hours but i've got my window fans turned on to put me in the hurricane spirit. 

i'm on high ground and in a solid rather low to the ground building. i've got supplies enough to last me til next hurricane season if my electricity goes out and just so you know, i've decided "an eye for an eye" is the ability a person who can understand hurricane computer models possesses. 

the hurricane is expected to arrive here as only a category 1 or perhaps only a tropical storm which is pretty typical for hurricanes that mosey on up this far north. the difference with this one is it's massiveness which translates to i blow you long time and all the rain expected which will likely cause some serious flooding but i'm on top of a hill so i'll watch everyone down below get flooded. seriously i hope people are safe. i'm glad i no longer live in a manhattan highrise. those things sway when the wind kicks up like this. the projected 12 hours of swaying in my former 18th floor apartment would have been rather nervewracking.

oh and in other exciting news, several days ago i was sitting at my computer when it felt like my chair was rocking back and forth. it was so slight that i thought because i was still groggy from sleeping late the rocking was my imagination until i turned on the news and heard about the earthquake and a bit later got a robocall from the mayor's office telling everyone an earthquake had been felt in the area. i assume that is what i felt. it was so slight but at least i can say i've felt an earthquake. now it's hurricane time. bring it baby!  

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 27-Aug-11  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

k

man i saw the newss ite3m and they were saying they were evacuating people below floor 10 in building? wtf are they expecting? a 100ft tidal wave sweeping thru manhattan? lol

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12                 Date: 27-Aug-11  @  07:58 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

sitar

hahaha. before this thing is over somebody is going to see the Lochness Monster doing a backstroke. to be honest i wouldn't want to be above the 10th floor the way those building sway back and forth. i'll take my chances with the 10-story tidal wave. 

Message 4/12                 Date: 27-Aug-11  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

oxygene65

I bet, as usual, it will be a big wet anti-climax, which is obviously a good thing. The media and new channels just love this sort of shit and milk it for all its worth.

I worked with a guy who was on holiday in Bahamas once when a hurricane struck. The hotel staff moved all the guests into the safest room in the building, the hotel bar.  The hurricane hit will full force and did cause damage, although he vaguely remembers a strange wind like noise shortly before passing out in a drunken mess.  Brits abroad eh. Makes you so proud.

I've experienced an earthquake in Zante, one of the Greek Islands. Was pretty mental.  Nothing major, but still humbling.  Around 7am and I'm in my hotel bed, nursing a hangover, there was this massive BANG and the bed vibrated.  It was a seriously loud band, and of course these hotels are just concrete boxes, so whatever made the bed shake must of made the hotel shake too.

We went down to the hotel lobby on our way out for the day and all the guests were asking the receptionist what it was, and yes, she confirmed it was a minor earthquake.

Message 5/12                 Date: 30-Aug-11  @  02:52 AM   -   RE: hurricane irene

sitar

even though it was down to tropical storm winds by the time it reached where i am in southern connecticut this thing did a ton of damage. it was huge and dropped a ton of rain. my power was out but came back on in about 26 hours which makes me one of the lucky ones. many will be without power for days and possibly longer than a week. 

the thing about the media and the government warnings is many people won't do anything unless really pushed but if the warnings were not issued and reissued people would complain and sue like crazy. a lot was learned from the lackadaisical response to hurricane Katrina and the resulting disaster in New Orleans. i hate it when the media makes an impending 10" snow storm sound like the end of the world is nigh but this was a massive storm no matter how you sliced it. oh and we had a few people joy riding a flooded area in a canoe. next thing you know there is a search and rescue looking for them after they capsized. at least one died. last i heard this afternoon at least one other was unaccounted for and the search was continuing. it's horrible but also those fire department, national guard and police could have been doing something else if these guys hadn't decided to do something reckless.

Message 6/12                 Date: 01-Sep-11  @  12:30 AM   -   RE: hurricane irene

k

well finally talked to me aunty in New Jersey (nr Flemington since u are bound to ask), they live near a river & got flooded basement but luckily it didnt come in the house. Reached to the second to last step.

my cousins been real busy as he's a volunteer fireman.

They are all ok anyway but it's been a nightmare. Apparently US insurance companies only will cover basements for the furnace and a few other bits. wierd seeing as many americans turn their basements into living areas, but apparently that's how it is.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/12                 Date: 01-Sep-11  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

sitar

i'm sorry to hear that but i'm glad they're otherwise ok. insurance in the states is bonkers. the U.S. is in deep shit. the economic stability here puts us lower than countries we used to call banana republics and the right wing is fighting tooth and nail to keep it that way, or worse. the billionaire oil kings, the Koch brothers are largely behind the tea party. one of the Koch brothers was a founder of the racist John Birch Society. the right wing House minority leader Eric Cantor has been saying the government shouldn't help the Hurricane victims until social programs are cut out of the budget. he sang a different tune when his state needed emergency aid though and he never once balked over the unaccounted for spending on the invasion of Iraq. that was a case of "oh the money will come from somewhere". 

sorry for the rant. again i'm glad your people are ok. lots of people are still without power and still experiencing flooding. Irene hit hard.  

Message 8/12                 Date: 02-Sep-11  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: hurricane irene

k

that's ok mate, you guys deserve to rant a bit, or riot more like with your criminal govt lol.

Message 9/12                 Date: 02-Sep-11  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: hurricane irene

oxygene65

aye, its quite enjoyable reading the rants, lets have more of them. It also helps us Brits to get a proper view of whats going on in the US politically wise. I find it quite interesting.

Message 10/12                 Date: 05-Sep-11  @  10:21 AM   -   RE: hurricane irene

sitar

dick cheney is doing his book tour. the guy is running around bragging about torture and the Iraq war. fucking asshole. i wish he would travel abroad and get arrested for crimes against humanity. 

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum