0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 24-Dec-08  @  05:33 PM     Edit: 24-Dec-08  |  05:38 PM   -   2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

homegrown

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello all
Two new ambient/psy/chillout tunes on the links below.
Any feedback or tips for improvement would be welcome!
Cheers Homegrown

Oxymoron

The Ultimate Mistake

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 13-Jan-09  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

droplifter

Link?:  No link

I'm listening to Oxymoron now. I like the production, sounds really transparent, and that marimba or whatever it is (I'm not cultured) comes through really well. I like the sort of jazz style filtered lead with the jazz style timing. And I really like the stuttered effect that comes in at about 3.30 or so. Never heard that in something 'ethnic'. It's a tongue twister of a track that's for sure. I really like it. I can't fault the production. You've got a really nice stereo image going on and everything comes through. And the breakdown at the end's good as well, really comes through well.

Message 3/14                 Date: 13-Jan-09  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

homegrown

Droplifter,cheers for listening fella

Message 4/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

k

yeah man thats real nicee, but i'd do some work on the snare/clap/rimshot/percussion territory with eq and panning and especialy comps to get those sounds crackalakin more, and a bit more spatial. they get a bit submerged when the mix is busier, the kit is a bit 'back in center'... im listening on cans btw. i dont mean make it all upfront and lose it's flow, just more definition in those sections. i think the toms patterns around 3:00 need beefin up fer example (at first listen this is btw... my thoughts as it plays.. they could change after a few listens)

Perhaps the monk fade in at 1:30 could have some panned delay fx to make it decay spacier and more haunting

love the panning stuff around 3:10 when it dubs up.. that is great dub man! heh excellent and when it goes really dub at 3:37 thats it for me, thats the sweetspot, that is sublime with that bassline & complexed snare roll beat. i'd love to hear that section alone, that dub style breakdown extended into a full length version with that drumbeat/bassline and those sounds etc floating away over the top, a really raw version.

so i'd keep the intro up to :22 seconds but come in with the dub

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

k

ifi radically eq it and comp it. i get the fatness i mean in the drums etc, (well it sounds right on these cans atm)

but by doing that radical eq cut it's obviously created other weird artefacts in the mix, but by getting the top out of the mix i get the beef of the drums and fat low mid. that fatness in the mix, so i can go into the mix in my head

mebbe these cans are fecked?

mix here

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

k

The Ultimate Mistake seems wider, great intro man! at first it reminded me of MYST.. did u ever play that game? dead spooky.... i re ~eq'd that too, sorry i was just messin about to try and make it sound like in a club on cans, lol obviously the voice dissapeared alot as i cut the mid and top it works best at the breakdown with the voice in isolation

mix here

it's a deep track man, i really like it. the fx moves and details are exquisite in places

Message 7/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  12:13 PM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

droplifter

Yeah Ultimate Mistake totally reminds me or Myst, and now that you mention it, Riven as well! I really dig it. I'll leave the production comments to K, but I really like it as a tune.

I see the difference in levels on the EQ'd mix of Oxymoron, but coming from my setup, seems maybe a tad too bass heavy? I mean, once I crank it up (source direct I might add) things maybe get a bit *too* bassy? And I thought these speakers were low on bass

But that's just me and tbh, it's nothing I can't dial out.

But yeah I really dig both tunes. I like all the different layers and arrangement going on in both. I especially like the bell tones in Ultimate mistake; really nice stereo image coming through. Just gunna have a listen to K's rejigger of it.

Message 8/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

droplifter

Hmm, I like the extra bit of punch on the bass, did you run a comp on it or just an EQ, K? But I'm getting some sort of artefacts coming through on the bass now, still think it's a bit too bass heavy, but that's just me.

To Homegrown: Dude, Ultimate Mistake, now don't take offence from this but it sounds to me like the absolute first track on a album that wants to mix into the second and just explode into something, if that makes sense? I love all the restrain and that but it's totally set me up for like the next song

Message 9/14                 Date: 14-Jan-09  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

k

agreed it's a superb opener track! brilliant stuff! - yeah i used some Sony Oxford Buss compression, radical Sony channel eq and some other tools, stereo widener and than wacked it all thru an additional multiband compressor... and yes of course i removed the detail cos of the top/mid cut, on speakers it's way bassy I expect, but on cans it sounded full... I just did it to get the drums big and fat... i think it's been mixed too flat and mid/toppy, i'd like the mix to be more like my eq version, but not so booming, and then with the finer detail of things like the spoken word defintion eq-range added back in.. so i'd like to be able to mix the drums/bass big and fat and lots of compression and rolled off top to make it big and full and then add in the extras with all their fine details intact

I like my trance to be very wide and fat so the details are not blasting me in the face, i can wander into the mix in my mind and pick out the things going on - i wonder how Homegrown your speakers are setup? and what speakers they are? cos it sounds a bit mid/top heavy.. but that could be the mp3 encoding s/w as well to some extent - mebbe the speakers are booming so you're rolling off the bass end and over emphasising the tops/mid?

i'll check my eq'd version in speakers today anyways, i bet it is way over-bassy!, but i did that at 3 a.m on cans

Message 10/14                 Date: 15-Jan-09  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: 2 New Ambienty Psy-ish tunes

homegrown

Cheers for all the input guys
K cheers for having a bash at the eq etc...definitely sounds fuller on headphones, especially helps on ultimate mistake but obviously makes the top end muddy on both mixes.Till now all my tunes have been made with fairly mediocre Tannoys in a tiny room and I haven't been at all sure of whats going on down the bottom end of a mix, basically the speakers are booming like you say .I've finally shelled out on some Genelecs which aren't perfect but are a fairly large step up from me Tannoys.Got some nice stompy Psy-Trance on it's way which is made with the Genelecs and the mix is a lot fuller and more sollid.
Need to have another go at the bass in the ultimate mistake because it sounds a bit wet and saggy,would like it a bit more sollid.And I think alot of my percussion is generally not as punchy as I'd like it to be, but it's getting there.
Droplifter---- no offence taken mate,if ever I get an album together this tune would have to be the opener.I agree that it needs to explode into something though.Man can not live on restrain alone!
Anyway cheers for your comments guys and your re-jiggings K,always nice to hear another angle
Nice to see the forums s-l-o-w-l-y coming back to life.
P.S them bell tones are from omnisphere.....Don't think I tweaked them at all,so can't take any credit for them,but they are quite lush.
Right I'm off to find out what this MYST game is all about?

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum