0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: final, final hi end solution

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  11:10 AM   -   final, final hi end solution

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am confused. When reading reviews on the internet some people say I love the A/D convertors, others say the A/D convertors sound brittle and cheap. What would be your advise for mastering from a Mackie desk onto CD? Should I:-

1. Buy an Alesis Masterlink

2. Buy a Tascam RW2000

3. Buy the best A/D convertor box I can afford and go straight into my Delta 410 soundcard

Thank you. I have asked this question before but I need to ask it again.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

Influx

Link?: Link

3, if you can afford an industry standard like apogee. straight spdif onto hard disk

altho...I have a friend that was doing pro mixes, tons of releases, and the masterlink was good enough for him BUT he was using an apogee PSX as a converter

BOTH? 

Message 3/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

Dominic

Thanks Influx.

So why would he need an apogee convertor if he already had a masterlink? Does one go from the analogue desk - into the apogee convertor - then into the "digital in" on the masterlink?

So the A/D convertors on the Alesis aren't that good then?

Message 4/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Yeah that single Apogee stereo in ADC

concern yourself with being able to produce shit-hot mixes before worrying about high end ADC solution tho ?

Message 5/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

Dominic

s'true. That is quite a pricey solution. Maybe if I was producing Celine Dion there might be justification.

How about I buy the digital board for my Focusrite MixMaster and then go from the digital output into the digital input of my delta 410 straight into Wavelab? Is that a quality solution?

Message 6/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  03:14 PM     Edit: 03-May-05  |  03:15 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

milan

how about getting a better soundcard if yer not happy with that one? like a motu 828 or something RME or other.

A/D converters are about the last thing you'll need to upgrade in a typical home studio, unless you're using a really crap soundcard, which you arent i think.

edit:

or get that digital option for the mixmaster   no idea if thats cheaper than a new soundcard.

Message 7/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

psylichon

Convertors are one of those "last .0001%" kinda things, in my opinion. At work, we bypass the converters on our Digidesign 192 interfaces (which are pretty damn good) with an apogee frontend (AD16X) with lucid clocking. We've done A/B's between converters and clocks, and the difference is so negligible that I would say don't worry about it for now. There are a million other factors (the most important being your skill as an engineer) that will affect the outcome of your product.

My boss was mixing for one of my production clients one day and I was sitting in. He spent 20 minutes hooking up another converter to the masterlink to get "an edgier sound" and when it was all said and done, I couldn't tell the difference. My boss is a nutter like that. He claims to hear all these things.

Lots of people do... you have to trust your own ears though.

Message 8/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

Dominic

Cheers guys. So really, I'm being far too anal.

What you guys are saying is there would be absolutely no difference between a HHB 830 Burn It Plus, a Tascam RW2000 and Alesis Masterlink in terms of sound quality?

Message 9/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

beds

i think they're saying the difference is minimal

Message 10/18                 Date: 03-May-05  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: final, final hi end solution

milan

yeah... unless everything else in your chain is as good as it can get, dont worry about it.

reminds me of this guy, has an ok studio.. asked me if better converters will improve his vocal sound. err... how about changing the MIC for starters??  

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum