0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: I have a question...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 11-Apr-05  @  12:01 AM   -   I have a question...

urbicide

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have a question... expert advice needed (psy or whoever?).

I'm doing multiple projects in recording music. Stuff for my boss and stuff on the personal side. I need a tracking pre-amp under $ 1200 for recording (cheaper is okay): piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and for me synths and fx.

I use a digi 001 at the moment so I will need a preamp that bypasses the digi001 and uses the digital in... wether spdif or optical. I'm not sure of the specs.

I'm looking for something thats transparent/flat and better than the digi001's pre's. I dont have a great understanding about jittter and such... so clocking will be an issue.

My biggest beef right now is that I'm not achieving the results I want. Things sound good at low volume but they sound mediocre at loud volumes. I'm looking for something that will help me friendly equalize, compress and track sounds for a better result.

here's the mic setup: Two m149's on piano, tlm103 on acoustic guitar, tlm103/akg c12/sm57 on vox. SM57/TLM103 on electric guitar

I need something universal for all of these setups. Think A to D. I'm bypassing the digi 001 on a fairly limited budget. I dont want apogee.

Anyhow, any advice would be great as I have to do audio work for HD and I'm currently producing and writting some music used for no apparent reason :-) thanks y'all -Andrew

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 11-Apr-05  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: I have a question...

k

Link?:  Link

eww... trouble is, you realy need to try them I spose - The usual suspects like Avalon? Amek? focusrite? mindprint? SPL?, TL Audio or Universal Audio mebbe... manley's gonna be way over budget and some of those others, but anyways, wether you can match price, sound AND dig' out might be a tuff challenge

alternatively what about Trident or Oram?.. dunno if their gear does dig out tho. That's going to limit your choice quite a bit i'd say

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/14                 Date: 11-Apr-05  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: I have a question...

psylichon

Link?: Link

Hate to tell you, but you're asking for a LOT there for the budget (especially if you want stereo? Most of your sources I would record in stereo). The pres that would be a really noticeable improvement over your digi pres don't generally come with digital outs (but there are several "prosumer" models that do). Add in compression and EQ and you've knocked out anything I can think of personally for under $1200.

I would prioritize your needs. I think you want a clean pre first. The pres on the 001 are much much more damaging to your sound than the converters are. Just go line level and don't worry about external A/D for right now.

So if you go that route, I just need to know how many channels you need?

Message 4/14                 Date: 12-Apr-05  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: I have a question...

urbicide

line level = better on the digi001? vs the two pre's? your leading me in a good direction

If thats the case I think I'm going to go with a m610... It's in the price range and it sounds great universally. Psy if you think of anything else beside the m610, be sure to say :-) You got the knowledge.

question: Will I expect any loss in quality using the line level in and out on the digi 001? I dont want to lose much character from the m610.

question: say if I wanted to mimick a 2-610 or a stereo preamp by re-routing the audio from pt (twice) into the the 610 and back to pt for stereo... my boss has two m149's and I question timing issues or wether its worth the time.

I could get a two channel but it'd be a helluvalot of convincing on my part. He wants the ultimate in audio quality but doesnt want to spend the money... fecking video guy. So maybe that workaround could work... thanks guys. ttyl.

PS - I was looking at some of the lower end models that do stereo... focusrite, joe meek, etc... would they be a significant improvement for this low budget?

Message 5/14                 Date: 12-Apr-05  @  05:44 AM   -   RE: I have a question...

psylichon

Ok, it sounds like you really want stereo, and the rerouting thing isn't gonna work for ya. The mic needs the electrical interaction with the microphone (hence the impedance switch) to do it's thang, and it won't have quite the same sound via the line ins. It does warm up things up on the line level and hi-z ins, for sure, but it's not the way to do proper stereo (not to mention time consuming... time=money, etc.)

If he really is trying to stay on the cheap, and wants something perhaps a bit cleaner (the 610 is a character piece, and having it as your main pre might impart too much color to the overall sound you get there), I would recommend the Grace model 101. I've never heard one myself, but they get consistently glowing reviews from all the gearslutz I read, so it's got a quality rep. You'll get a killer stereo image from that thing, and you can find them for little over $500.

Just to throw another option out there, I've used the Mackie Onyx 800R on remote recordings, and that will get you 8 quality pres and 24/96 ADAT connectivity with your 001 (well, 24/48 for you at least). Now, they're not gonna make the UA or the Grace sweat much, sound-wise, but they'll probably be quite noticeably higher-end-sounding than the stock 001 pres. And all that for under a grand is worth note, I think.

Lots to consider... good luck with it...

Message 6/14                 Date: 12-Apr-05  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: I have a question...

psylichon

Despite the name (their high-end stuff is pretty good), I would avoid low-end Focusrite anything.

Message 7/14                 Date: 13-Apr-05  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: I have a question...

urbicide

thanks for the info psy... the 101 has been agreed apon! I still would have gone for the 610 but the price was out of range damn'it. Supposely the m149 will sound great on any pre, but I informed and played apon the importance of having a decent pre for the m149. I will also be using the pre's too... so maybe I'll give a slight report on em.

The specs look amazing for such a small price. I'm sure I'll have a enough headroom and a clear crisitine sound for a low budget. I'll see how it turns out - I got a 30 day return credit. Thanks for the good info... I would have never come apon it. take care. -Andrew

Message 8/14                 Date: 13-Apr-05  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: I have a question...

k

Link?:  Link

Looks good doesnt it.. mmmmm  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/14                 Date: 13-Apr-05  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: I have a question...

psylichon

Ah my eyes glazed over the 149 in your first post... maybe it's just me, but that mic is always waaaay too bright and kinda thin on most sources. In fact, even when paired with a 610, I rarely ever used to use ours. The only pre that really brings out the balls of the mic that I've used would be one of the new Neve 1073 knockoffs, the Chandler LTD-1. But that's quite a bit out of your price range as well, and DEFINITELY a color piece. Never tried 149 on piano (we only have one), but I heard they're quite good for that. Your boss is a lucky mofo for having two of em.

Anyway, I'm quite sure you both will be quite pleased with the Grace. Be sure to let us know your findings.

Message 10/14                 Date: 14-Apr-05  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: I have a question...

damballah

you're getting 2 grace 101's, then? it's a mono unit, y'know.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum