0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: reverb theory

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 21-Sep-04  @  04:02 PM   -   reverb theory

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So the bigger the room, what?

1. More pre delay
2. More decay
3. Less liveness
4. Less Attack
5. Less high frequencies and more low frequencies eq

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 21-Sep-04  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: reverb theory

beds

Link?:  Link

yes

Message 3/25                 Date: 21-Sep-04  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: reverb theory

k

no - not neccessarily - ever been in a huge room and clapped your hands? if the room is BIG bottom end is actualy swallowed up and top-end is emphasised, but also depends on the walls (like say an old factory with concrete walls & floor etc - pre-delay is good, but in large room you'll get post reflections.

attack is down to the positioning of the mic (in the mix i mean), like if you mic'd someone singing fairly close, but also recorded the huge concerete room you'd still get alot of attack

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: reverb theory

psylichon

Link?: Link

another rule of thumb i've found is higher density for more transient material and less density for sustained pads and vocals. high density on vocals can make them unclear and confusing.

Message 5/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: reverb theory

k

yeah, 'swamped in reverb' vocals is a typical noob problem... well, over-use of reverb generaly is a usual noob mistake isn't it.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: reverb theory

k

the other thing is of course (obvious probably) if stuff that is to the front of the mix has no reverb, then 'some' reverb added to other thinsg will have more emphasis.. but if everythings got 'some' reverb on it, you'll need to add even more reverb to create the impression of 'more' reverb on the other things - the whole mix will loose definition as a consequence.

Message 7/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: reverb theory

Dominic

Cool, thanks guys. Reallly useful. The only thing I never put reverb on is the kick drum and bassline. Everything gets a dash of reverb. Thing is I quite like the snare to have a room on it which means that if nothiing else gets reverb it sound odd. S'posse I could use an ambience patch to treat the drums. This is how I kinda use my reverb:-

1. Room 10 metres - drums

2. Chamber 20 metres - synths and the odd percussion like rimshots, claves (and maybe a cheeky clap)

3. Hall 40 metres - pads, strings, fx

But then I read reverb articles that say the general rule of thumb is to put everything in the same space to make it sound cohesive and if its all coming from one space. But when I try this is just sounds wanky.

Hmmmm, maybe I should start using a plate for my drums, one hall for everything else and then have a special fx reverb for the odd FX.

How do you guys treat your tracks when it comes to reverb? Probably depends on the type of track. Maybe longer times for slower tracks and shorter decay, dly, etc times for faster tempo tracks. But what type of reverb d'you think works well for club tracks around the 128bpm mark. I'm just getting into using plates and it does sound chunky. I know we're s'posseed to leave FX until the last stage but I'm naughty in that I can't really "feel" a track unless there'e a dash of reverb going.

Message 8/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: reverb theory

k

um.... but we cant actualy HEAR a your music can we?... you aint added anything to your profile to listen to.

what kinda music do you make?

Message 9/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: reverb theory

Dominic

K, I (try) to make house but I'm rubbish. I have no natural talent at music making whatsoever. This is not me trying to be modest. Its the truth. I still love trying to make music more than anything though but this is why I don't have any tracks up on DT. There crap mate.

Message 10/25                 Date: 22-Sep-04  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: reverb theory

k

what sequencer U using?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum