0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Another PCI-822 question

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19                 Date: 15-Apr-04  @  03:04 AM   -   Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey- me again. Over the weekend I upgraded my sad old computer to Windows 98SE from regular old Win98. Afterward, I found out that I have no sound at all from my Tascam PCI-822 sound card, except- and this is where it gets wierd- when I use Cubase VST! Cubase operates completely normally, but it's the only way I can get any sound out of my PC. And before you say it, yes, I've tried reinstalling my drivers, but no luck. It sounds like only my ASIO software works. Short of buying a new computer (which I can't afford right now), what should I try now?

Dub

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/19                 Date: 15-Apr-04  @  06:45 AM     Edit: 15-Apr-04  |  06:50 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

psylichon

Link?: Link

an operating system made in this millenium.

any particular reason you're sticking with 98 at this time? How old is the computer?

Message 3/19                 Date: 15-Apr-04  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

Link?:  Link

well, if the control-panel / sounds audio devices (or whatever it's called) shows the device outs in place then it should output audio - very few apps rely on windows audio settings for drivers, all the audio s/w i can think of allocates it's drivers inside the app in the preferences.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/19                 Date: 15-Apr-04  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

Psychlion- it's an old computer, about 4 1/2 years old. I really want to get a new one but we can barely pay our bills right now- there's no way I could afford even a cheap computer! Eventually, when my wife gets a job, we'll get a newer one. But until then, I'm gonna have to make do with what I've got. And it's been fine for running VST32, Sound Forge and lots of VST plugins, but I'd really like to get all my audio back. I would install XP on it but the PC probably can't run it- it's a P3 running at 450mhz with 256mb RAM. I'm guessing it would bog down the processor big time to run XP on it.

K- I've gone to the control panel and made sure that audio is set to my PCI-822. It says it is, but it doesn't act like it is (shrugs). I keep coming back to the ASIO thing- by the way, last night I ran Pro-52 with no problems. And guess what it uses? Yep- ASIO! Is there anything else that you can think of that I could try? Maybe physically uninstalling, then reinstalling the sound card? I dunno. Any other ideas?

Message 5/19                 Date: 16-Apr-04  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

did you install the right drivers?.... asio sure should be installed, but windows audio in control-panel should see other drivers.... is there no choice there?

Message 6/19                 Date: 18-Apr-04  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

Dubmaniac

K- as far as I can tell, there is no way to switch drivers for the PCI-822 in the control panel. Maybe I've missed something, but if it's there, I couldn't find it. Would anything be gained by physically removing the card, powering up the PC and then reinstalling it? Someone told me that might work. Whaddyathink?

Dubster

Message 7/19                 Date: 18-Apr-04  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

milan

have you tried emailing Tascam? maybe it simply doesnt work like that under win'98.

Message 8/19                 Date: 19-Apr-04  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

dubmaniac

Link?:  Link

Milan-yeah, I tried emailing Tascam. They can't be bothered to support a sound card that they no longer make. This has happened before with Tascam. They make great products and then they refuse to support them! Any other ideas? I could call them but I'm not looking forward to making a long distance call that I pay for, holding for an hour or two and then not getting any help because the guy who knows about the card is sick today! What else can I try before I give up and start beating my PC with a sledgehammer?

Message 9/19                 Date: 19-Apr-04  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

milan

well try removing and reinstalling. also check if u have the latest drivers... the card is supposed to work on anything from win95 onwards, alegedly...

lol.. and let go off the hammer!

Message 10/19                 Date: 19-Apr-04  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: Another PCI-822 question

k

Sorry - I booted up and checked an old 98 machine - it's NOT 'Sounds & audio devices' you choose - whoops... long time no use 98!

in Control-Panel there's an item/icon called: MULTIMEDIA - Open that - Check the SOUNDS tab for audio playback & recording

that shouldnt see any asio drivers, only windows extentions. - what is listed there for choice of drivers? (if any choice at all) - is there ANYTHING listed in PLAYBACK & RECORDING (preferred device)

???

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum