0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: drums punch thru......

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15                 Date: 31-Aug-03  @  01:54 PM     Edit: 31-Aug-03  |  01:55 PM   -   drums punch thru......

BluStudio

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey,

wondering if anybody has done this/what they thought-

when grouping all bottom end shit for compressing with drums has anybody tried dipping the volume on low end parts as the drums crack thru instead? like drawing in volume changes in the sequencer, just long enough for the initial crack of the drums and then coming back up to normal a split second later, not like a complete mute but just down a bit to let the kick come to front

so everytime the drum kicks it cuts thru the bass and jumps right thru. Im gonna have a wee go just now with a grouped set of basslines and a 4/4 kick drum, anybody else use/used this manual draw in type technique in a DAW?

blu

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/15                 Date: 31-Aug-03  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

queasy00

Link?:  Link

i think swanofnever tried a similar deal once... and mentioned something about daft punk doing something similar.

or did i get mixed up?

anyway.. i think he did it with the entire mix tho,(not just the bass part) and it sounded pretty good! kinda stop go stop go ish but in a good way.

-j

Message 3/15                 Date: 31-Aug-03  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

d

Link?:  No link

this can also be done by setting up a sidechain to a compressor and ducking the bass using the kick as the key, studio trick that's been around for ages

Message 4/15                 Date: 31-Aug-03  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

BluStudio

yeah, was meaning manually d, cheers tho.

blu

Message 5/15                 Date: 31-Aug-03  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

influx

sounds like overdoing it to me. why not setup a side chain then? MUCH smoother and quicker

Message 6/15                 Date: 03-Sep-03  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

swanofnever

well, i WOULD have used a compressor but i had a ghetto setup ;)

i used a drawn envellope in cooledit!

raigan
p.s - queasy, it was only on the strings ;)

Message 7/15                 Date: 09-Sep-03  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

Boo

I often sidechain my basslines to compress with the kickout put, but I guess there's no harm doing it with volume automation. Maybe that way you can vary it to add more F L A V A ?

Message 8/15                 Date: 10-Sep-03  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

milan

i doubt it.

Message 9/15                 Date: 10-Sep-03  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

swanofnever

milan: i don't know.. the more i think about it, the most i really don't see the difference (unless you're arguing that hardware sounds different than s/w or something)

because -- either way you're applying an envellope to a signal. it's just a question of what controls the envellope.

like -- take a track (for simplicity use a uniform sustained pad or something where the .wav is all horizontal/stays at the same level)

sidechain it or whatever, and save the results to another file.

now.. you could easily open this new file, extract the level info (or just draw it by hand.. anyway, record the amplitudes in some way), and then apply that exact envellope to the original sound file. you'd end up with the EXACT same sound.

of course.. i suppose you could argue that the "original" envellope shape as generated by a real compressor is somehow superior to a hand-generated one..

anyway, i just don't see the difference. you're setting the env's attack/decay in ms -- so why not just draw in the envellopes according to those same params?

raigan

Message 10/15                 Date: 10-Sep-03  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: drums punch thru......

milan

of course, there's apsolutely no reason why you shouldnt do it like that, but its just so much easier with a compressor.

lol... you know, if you got really good with drawing in those envelopes you could imitate characterstics of different vintage compressors!  

now... if i would use that kick to trigger a filter sweep, that would be a different story.

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum