0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  10:37 AM   -   Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

How do you lot balance, mix and eq your kick and bass tracks. I read lots of stuff on the net saying that if you use a thick, heavy sounding bass then you have to use a toppy, acoustic sounding kick. Hmmm. I’m not sure about this. I can see where their coming from but none of my favourite producers seem to HAVE to do this on their tracks.

The second thing that really seems to annoy me is how all these articles say that if you “have to” use a heavy sounding kick, then you SHOULD ONLY play a bassline that doesn’t fall on any quarter notes (kicks). That’s rubbish. I don’t want to sound “trance” or proggy”.

Thirdly, all these articles across the WWW talk about viewing your mix as a jigsaw and finding “a pocket” for every sound. Now I can understand that but if the kick and bass occupy the same frequencies then what do you do? I have a Mackie desk so I’m stuck with a Lo eq of 80hz. I usually give both kick and bass a little 3db at 80 Hz boost. Now, my question is how do you guys eq the kick and bass in the low and hi mid area? I usually make a small cut at 250 Hz on the bass to try and make room for the kick. How do you guys work your kick and bass combinations?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

It helps the clarity of a mix to keep instruments/sounds in their own freq area. However, and I know this is old news, use your ears. If it sounds right to you, fuck what you're supposed/not supposed to do.

That said, I tend to dig lower kicks (with the meat around 60-80hz) with more mid low basslines (like around 120-160hz), and when I do end up with a low bassline (like something dipping below 60hz) I'll generally use a higher kick (around 120hz or so, depending on the track), mostly cos I'm a lazy git and it makes it easier to mix...=)

G

Message 3/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Cheers for the response. Thing is I only have a certain freq range to eq within. I'd be sorted if my Mackie had like a 5 band eq like you get on a Neve. But I don't. I can't boost 125 hz cos I usually have to use the lo mid pot for removing nasty lo mid freqencies. That leaves me with a hig mid that starts from 500 hz and a lo that is set at 80hz. D'you get what I'm saying?

Message 4/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  11:32 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

k

Link?:  Link

cant you get a cheap eq to patch in to the insert?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  11:48 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

Yea that's a good point!!! The insert on both kick and bass is used by my compressors so I s'posse I'd have to chain him?

Message 6/30                 Date: 12-Mar-03  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Mindspawn

You can tune yer synths, yes? Just punch the bassline or BD up or down in pitch until ya gets the sounds working together...

cheers

Message 7/30                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

k

you could also sidechain the kik and duck down the bass a bit freom the kik sidechain - that can make some interesting stuff.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/30                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

Filthy McNasty

K - been checking the price of eq's. Forgeting about the Behringer stuff cos it sounds rubbish. Next up is TLA stuff priced at about £400. Trouble is if I'm gonna pay for a seperate eq strip then I want 5 bands fully parametric. Going up the nest level you get 5 bands but prices are creeping up into the £1000 area. I can't justify that.

Mindspawn - pitching the bass up and down to fit into "that pocket" is a fundamental. However, I find that when I pitch the kick up and down by a semitone, it either loses its attack (down in pitch) or just becomes too thin (up in pitch).

Anyone wanna buy me a vintage Neve eq?

Message 9/30                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

milan

forget it man. pick your sounds carefully so they work together from the begining, and use the comp sidechaining trick to move bass out of kick`s way. you certainly dont need a neve eq. dunno... do your mixdown on a pc? that would get you s/w parametrics with all the bands you could reasonably (or unreasonably) ever wish for.

Message 10/30                 Date: 13-Mar-03  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: Kick Vs Bass. Again.

k

Filthy man... s/h free-ad's! -mebbe grab a couple of cheap s/h alesis graphics - all you want is something to shelve off the bottom end so your bass eq can then be used elsewhere right?

How do you work anyways?... My outboard goes thru a hardware mixer, and the 8 subgroups/busses on that mixer route to the PC 8 INPUTS on the hoontech rack... so I can tweak eq's or shelve off shit before recording outboard to audio tracks or before rendering all the onboard & outboard in the final mix... so the mixer is being used to perform PRE-PC S/W-MIXER eq tasks

How is your setup?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum