0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: can't decide...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  06:24 AM   -   can't decide...

psychofreak5000

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm wanting to get into sampling and music production but i don't know what kind of gear I should get. Is the Korg Electribe EM1 good for beginers? Any advice would be great.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

Link?:  No link

have you got any gear already?.. cos obviously a sampler alone cant do it, even a phrase sampler with a mini sequencer aint really up to it although they are good to jam idea's around etc... you need other stuff too, sequencer etc.... s/w is the easiest route if you already have a 'puter to use...

Message 3/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

so what all do i need to get started?

Message 4/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

well you can s/w in the pc/mac or hardware - depends if you have ambitions to play live, versus the ease of gettinga glossier production in-pc/mac... it's a tough one to decide...

you could start with/use a s/w like Orion (normal, pro or platignum) or Reason,... both come with synths & a sampler and sampling drumbox everything you need to get going.

Orions allows adding more VSTi's... reason does not. But then reason will integrate into most of the major s/w sequencer like logic, sonar & vst/sx

mebbe start with a s/w like reason or orion and see how you like it... if you go further and add a decent budget level proper soundcard with decent asio or wdm drivers, then you can play those s/w synths & sampler live from a midi master keyboard.

Message 5/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

sorry, i'm a little confused about all the terminology you just used. but, you're saying i should start out with a computer program and then just get the hardware to plug a midi keyboard into the computer to play live? and what kind of music could i make with this? trance, drum n' bass, house, etc...

Message 6/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:34 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

influx

Link?:  Link

Id say forget the live thing for now. Just concentrate on learning to get some sounds together for now

one sampler, one synth, a sequencer. can be soft or hard...doesnt matter

soft is gonna be cheaper and more convenient if you have a good machine...hard is more hands on and intuitive for the most part

Message 7/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

so should I get the Reason or Orion thing that k was talking about? and if its best to use a computer then what about groove boxes and stuff?

Message 8/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

bedwyr

ouch, it's tough really.

people, i dunno, but what's a good box to get that can do lots from the word go, but could work with a better system (hard/soft sequencer + extras) at a later date?

Message 9/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

k

yup anything if you know the techniques/composition... meaning if you can translate what you hear into your own music... ok... a pc or mac can run a sequencer which is used to 'record' MIDI data... midi data represents things like played notes, which note, when it is pressed down, how long it is held down for etc etc... it's the data of the song music... NOT the sounds.

That midi data can trigger ANY midi device making it play the midi note data...

midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be hardware (outside the pc/mac in their own case & with their own power supply).... or midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be in s/w playing their sounds out from the soundcard...

midi receiving/sound-generating devices can be samplers, drumboxes, grooveboxes, synths, etc etc... some of them also can send out their own midi data which might for example represent the movement of a synth pararmeter which changes the sound in realtime....

ok.... so you therefore create songs by writing/recording notes as midi data which is used to trigger sound-making devices in hardware or s/w form...

so you need a sequencer - a sequencer records, stores and playsback the midi data.... then you need the sound-making devices....

now we arive at my previous post - the descision wether to get hardware gear, actual units... like say a sampler and a synth and a sequencer... then a mixer to blend all those sounds... some basic fx to add delays & reverb - and that's IT!!

a setup like that is VERY effective and you can play live with it!

or do it all in software - use a software sequencer and software sound-generating devices/instruments -

and there you can use reason, Orion, Fruity Loops etc (self contained all-in-one packages which do it all & in some cases can expand)

or you get an 'open' sequencer and buy software synths/sampler/drums etc and use that to make a all-in-one system. This is the more expensive sequencers with greater facilities (in some cases), they all also have audio tracks which can be EVERY effective for dance of course.... But they dont come with much more than a basic freebie amount of sound-making software synths or drums etc.... so if you went for a main sequencer in s/w, like cakewalk, steinberg, emagic etc, then you'll also need s/w instruments to use with it....

now in the case of s/w instruments... IF you want to play your master keyboard, and actualy PLAY those s/q synths in realtime (so that when you hit the keys it sounds via your pc soundcard), then you need a low-latency card

Lowlatency cards process the audio fast enuff so s/w instruments can be played in realtime (with a fast enuff PC/mac that is)

ok so bare in mind that special soundcard needs to be added to the price (stating at around 160-70 for a starter card of any quality (purpose designed)

with the hardware setup... synth, sampler, mixer, fx units etc you dont need that special soundcard - you can of course still record things into your pc and mess with the audio in the pc and then reload it into the sampler if you go for an all hardware system.

there is a 3rd scenario

a pc/mac running a software sequencer... but with all outboard harware sound generating devices,,,,, so that'd be the middle hybrid between the two of 'all hardware' & 'all software'

make any sense?

Message 10/56                 Date: 22-Sep-02  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: can't decide...

psychofreak5000

So, if I go with a hardware setup(actual units like you said)will I have more versatilty than if I go with the all-in-one software? And if I go with a hardware setup will I still be able to expand it easier than with a software setup? How much would it cost to get a good hardware setup?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 56 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum