0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Jazz ethic

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17                 Date: 29-May-02  @  05:57 PM   -   Jazz ethic

Pongoid

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

So what are folks thoughts on the Jazz ethic, i.e., particing up your licks, gettin a few good grooves together, and maybe even following something like a modified Jazz chart/progression whree folks have solos and accents to grooves, and such and get together with whole groups of other electrinoic musicians, and do live, once-in-a-lifetime stylie onstge for an audience?

Ape

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/17                 Date: 29-May-02  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

xoxos

weird. i start typing, look up, and my screen is flashing through the pages i've been on today, new one w/ each key. wish i knew what i did, would be very handy  

i'm telling you, i'm down, except for lack of transport, lack of desire to damage my hearing more, lack of desire to be aorund crowds of people "when i could be home making tapes"   we used to do that stuff.. shows and everythnig. except it was with bicycle pumps and guitar fx pedals. we had licks, we had interplay. we were like gods. everyone just stood there, utterly mystified.

but no one left  

Message 3/17                 Date: 30-May-02  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

marianimal

Link?:  No link

I think that's an idea with great potential. Charts...what would they be like? Never seen any except for the type of notation Anthony Braxton was using, if that counts.

Message 4/17                 Date: 30-May-02  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

Pure Phase

Link?:  No link

Sounds good. Live jamming is the way forward. Just start playing and see what happens. Leave the computer at home and enjoy making some music.

Message 5/17                 Date: 30-May-02  @  02:49 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

99devils

Yeah, that sounds like a cool idea.

-Craig

Message 6/17                 Date: 01-Jun-02  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

Pongoid

It's not too hard either, but you have to approach the gig in a different way. It's not about having loads of stuff rehearsed at all. It's about having loads of useable, and flexible grooves that you can drop at a second's notice, and an ear for what others are doing, and what would fit right where to bring out the mood you feel you're going for.

Ape

Message 7/17                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

knowa

Link?:  Link

dope. this is why I keep asking about sequencers that can record on the fly. I saw Vladislav Delay recently and it was pretty disapointing to watch him play tracks JUST like his records on his laptop. I'm reorganizing my gear around this live, improv-friendly idea, though not sure just how yet. it's not just about the gear, but I'd like to hear you talk more about the tech side of things. lookomg forward to a show in NY, pongoid.

Message 8/17                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

Pongoid

Let me see what I can organise for NY. I'd really love to come down there and do a gig.

Ape

Message 9/17                 Date: 03-Jun-02  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

99devils

If you can give a little bit of notice I'd still love to catch you in NYC sometimes. It's 8 hours away though, so I need to organize  

-Craig

Message 10/17                 Date: 28-Jun-02  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Jazz ethic

knowa

Link?:  Link

anyone interested in seeing a "jazz ethic" brought to electronic music has GOT TO check out Herbert live.

OMFG.

he samples noises from his mouth, the sound of ripping paper (and boxer shorts!) and other things live, fiddles about on an old akai for a second or two, gets an abstract beat going, then runs back to sample through a second mic thats hooked up to verious stomp boxes. etc. things get nuts but always musical.

played in NYC with a two man horn section, second keyboardist, and Diane something, the DOPE vocalist from his Bodily Functions album.

they was a bit of playback too, but given all the live improve that was going on on along with it, it didn't matter a bit.

highly recommended.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum