0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Define "Live"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

Original Message 1/79                 Date: 04-Apr-02  @  04:21 PM   -   Define

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

What I'm on about has been touched on in a lot of threads of late. Just what constitues "live" in the sense of an electronic performance? Is playing a DAT live? How about using a DAT for backing while you play live bits over the top? How is using a sequencer all that different? How much manipulation of yer bits does it take before you're "live?"

I know there's a lot of differences, including artist vs audience perception. Just wonderin' what y'alls take on this was...

From me own perspective what satisfies my definition of "live" is no pre-recorded songs or backing, no individual sequence in excess of 32 measures in length, and doing something a little more involved than hitting a button or a knob once every ten minutes. That's not to say if you don't meet my "criteria" that you'd get no respect, far from it actually... I'm just giving out my own definition of what makes it LIVE for me, and that ain't necessarily what makes it good by any means....

Peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: Define

brentym

i don't know. i've never even actually seen anyone do a "live PA" besides so i don't know what is expected or what the norm is.

i've been playing in bands and doing solo acoustic gigs for so long, the idea of not playing an instrument through the whole gig seems bizarre to me.

i've not done a live performance with electronic instruments before, but in rehearsing i've noticed that most of my time is spent making making adjustments for what will happen 4 bars ahead of time and tweaking the sounds of the phrases as they are already playing than playing any actual music. i enjoy it, but its a totally differn't approach.

Message 3/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: Define

Pongoid

I've used sequences as long as 64 beats, but usually much shorter. I'm also not opposed to mixing long complex sequences in one sequencer with shorter bits and pieces punched in and out as well. For some heavily break oriented stuff, I'm just not accurate enough to punch it all in and out at 190 bpm and throwing 32nd rolls. I'm only human. However, I can punch some of it, and do, as well as play other stuff along with it. How live is live? How live do you want to make it? I think it's more a question of technique, inspiration, spontanaety, and interactivity than the tools used, per se, but obviously there are limits with in all of it, and the areas aer more or less grey according to the individual. My two.

Ape

Message 4/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: Define

sitar

Link?:  Link

Yea. Playing an instrument is one thing but dance music is like playing a small orchestra or you're the whole 4 piece band anyway. Doing it all live, you'd need to be an octupus.

Message 5/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: Define

damballah

mine's kinda like yours, mindspawn. is the sound coming from musical instruments or playback devices? is anything being done to the sound in real time?

Message 6/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Define

Def Z

Link?:  No link

I don't know - I think we may be looking at the definition of live in the wrong context. Mindspawn, your defition excludes some performers who are very involved in the groove of their music, and their art, and I think that the definition you've offered is a little restrictive. Take the dj for example. He's up their spinning records, and because he doesn't change a disk/record every 32 bars doesn't mean he's not live. He/She is VERY much in control of the music, the tone, the groove, etc, and can respond to changes in environment and audience.

I would define live as the ability to artistically/musically react to different stimuli. That means playing bits over a DAT, sequencing on the fly, and dj'ing. In my opinion.

Message 7/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Define

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

roni size was a good live show. although it
wasn't just him up there. 3 other guys playing
keyboards triggering s760s, a bassist, a
drummer and an mc.

Message 8/79                 Date: 05-Apr-02  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: Define

formant

well i think i have determined what my live PA will be...

here is my situation... typical dj type guy who has been producing for several years wanting to go live

what i have decided on is taking out the following:

roland digital mixer
yamaha rs7000
nord lead 3

all of my beats, reaktor synths, and efx will be sampled into the rs7000 and set to a track.

the nord will be triggered live from the rs7000 midi sequencer and knobs will be tweaked but i probably will not play live keys (i suck at it)

my songs will all have no arrangement to them other than the typical 'main loops' and 'breakdown/changeup' loops... so i will be bringing in parts as i go and essentially composing the songs as i go.

seeing as how i have no actual playing abilities, this setup will be a good compromise of live cuz the song is never the same twice and the nord will be constantly changing etc.

i already have a monthly dj slot and the promoters are wanting me to do a live set anytime i want, i just have to get all my tunes ported over to the rs :-)

anyone have any suggestions or additions? i figure turning stuff on and off and twisting nord knobs will keep one guy with two hands plenty busy.

jamey

Message 9/79                 Date: 06-Apr-02  @  10:57 PM   -   RE: Define

brentym

how bout an external digital delay to run through an aux out of the mixer. put it on whatever you want, whenever.

i have an old ibanez DM100 with knobs that i use for some spaced out effects.

Message 10/79                 Date: 07-Apr-02  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: Define

k

wellll... imo the creeping use of the word LIVE is pure nastyness and goes hand in hand with the crap loser world we live in of decaying personal ability

it used to be called a PA (personal appearance) - and everyone knew what that was... so it was:

"live PA from Trevor Walters" or whoever, and you expected Trev to bang it over a backing tape... fine... but now.. 'LIVE' hmmmmm... as i said, someone should sue Brittany.. she's a fuckin mimer for sure.

But it all goes hand in ahnd with the miserable decline of the music biz... fuinnily i was watching TOTP with my two teenie nephews this week and when they ran down the top30 all they said was...

"crap... crap... rubbish... crap... rubbish... crap.. crap.."

etc.. man, even to kids it's total cobblers now... still, www downloadin will get the blame no doubt

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 8

There are 79 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum