0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Deejay & deejay kit

Subject: What mixer are you using?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 26-Mar-01  @  08:51 AM   -   What mixer are you using?

loFreq

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just out of curiousity and the quest for the 'best' DJ mixer. What kinda of mixer do you have and how do you like it.

My first was a Vestax PMC-03a. The Vestax served its role as a beginner mixer, which was a:cheap(129USD) b:decent in quality. The fader on the vestax was tight and took some effort to move, which at the time I thought was good. But on the fader tip, it taught me a lesson. cheap faders suck. It started to leak after 3 months or so. I'd give it a 3 out of 10 overall.

My second and current mixer is a Newmark Pro SM-1. This is a HUGE step up from the little vestax. Let me say that until this series of mixers came out I was not a Numark fan. My old roommate had one and the fader went quicker than the cheaper vestax. But anyway, the faders on this one are KILLER!!! I belive it is a true optical design. In any case, the fader feels smooth and has some weight too it as it should. To compare to the high end(PMC-07PRO)vestax, the vestax fader can be flicked all the way across very easily, while the numark has more resistance. The channel faders have a simlar feel. All the faders and knobs are non-slip rubber that feels nice. Speaking of knobs, the knobs are spaced out perfectly(almost), unlike the expensive vestax mixers, whose knobs are far too close together. Another nice feature is dual headphone-jacks!!!! It has both standard quarter-inch and the tiny walkman type. Bravo! On top of that, the mic connector is a fancy 1/4in\XLR !!  Someone was actually thinking when they designed this thing. I'd give this a 7.5 out of 10. BTW it cost me $380, and they now have a three channel model availible. I would have liked to have had the third turntable option for the extra cash.

I hear stanton is makeing mixers with decent faders, anyone have one?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 26-Mar-01  @  07:24 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

ABC 303

My first Mixer was this cute little Gemini... Fucked!

Second, Gemini PS626... Fucked!

I now own a Citronic Preditor... Fucked!

I'm going to watch this thread with intrest 

Message 3/22                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  04:01 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

k

Link?: Link

i've used a few - soundcrafts, hill, ram, custom built, allen & heath etc - i use a seck now cos it is the most compact i could find - space problem at the moment but they are a decent mixer for the dosh you get stacks of facilities and they are fairly quiet.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/22                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Pongoid

For the real sickos here, and I'm not saying I'm one, but I do like to have a little fun while I play, sometimes using three decks, a CD deck or two, an MD, and my drum machine with F/X, there is a mixer you have to peep. Allen&Heath Xone 464. Oh my, what a monster. I've played one a couple times and they are by far one of the nicest mixers ever. They are expensive as hell, but worth it, if you're going to go for it as a DJ. Others worthy of note are the Ecler SCLAT series and of course Urei 1620/Bozak ****. Check them out if you can find them.

Ape

Message 5/22                 Date: 27-Mar-01  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Lightyear

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I've been thru a few mixers to. Had a few
numarks that went sour very quick. Had that
Roland dj1000 thing which was terrible.
Played out on a Numark pro SM1, which was
nice but I had a few layout issues with it
(headphone jack placement I think-not coffin
friendly) it also seems like it's almost a
scratch fader but still a little techno IMOP. Also
tried a Vestax mixer, the silver 4 channel one,
that was very hard to navigate in the dark, but
seemed nice for non scratch styles.

Actually I've been gigging with my friends
Gemini eliminator 19" (the green one with the
skull on it) and I quite like it. I'm sure the
sound quality is what you pay for but it really
has a lot of bases covered. eq kills, punch in
out's on each channel, a decent fader that
lends more to techno then scratch, but the
punch in makes up for that a bit. cheap to 

Message 6/22                 Date: 28-Mar-01  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

ABC 303

Hmmm those crossfader problems, are they ever going to sort that out? I remember seeing this advert for something called, i think 'Elvins Crossfader Represser' or something like that. It basically looked like a bit off wire and a battery that you placed inside your crossfader. The ad clamed that it not only cleared up any distortion AND balanced out your volume sliders, but you would NEVER need to replace a crossfader again. Maybe the mixer manufacturers use this noise supresser method in all new mixers, to be honest i don't know. All i know is i paid £450 for my mixer 2 years ago and it's been nothing but trouble since.

Um, so has anybody heard of what i'm talking about?

Message 7/22                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

jermz

pioneer djm-500

Message 8/22                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

k

whoops - sorry, forgot this is the Dj forum.. (mixers) sorry.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/22                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

Jasper

heh heh, "I'll just get my coat".

Message 10/22                 Date: 01-Apr-01  @  03:56 AM   -   RE: What mixer are you using?

loFreq

How is the crossfader on the Pioneer? I've heard good things.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum